The bed has an interesting history and has come a long way since its humble beginnings. Whilst you may simply rely on it for a good nights sleep, there are some interesting facts which may surprise you!
1. ‘Bed’ is an Old English word but ‘bedroom’ arrived only in 1600 and ‘bed bug’ in 1803
2. A person normally spends about a third of their life sleeping in their bed
3. Because of his belief in the powers of magnetic flow, Charles Dickens always slept with his bed in a North-South alignment
4. According to Guinness World Records, the world’s largest bed was 86ft 11in long and 53ft 11in wide and was made in the Netherlands in 2011
5. When William Shakespeare died he bequeathed his second best bed to his widow. His daughter got his best one
6. The correct term for a fear of beds is ‘clinophobia’
7. Pull-down beds called “Murphy beds” made to be folded into the wall were patented by William Lawrence Murphy of San Francisco around 1900
8. The first waterbeds were goatskins filled with water, used in Persia nearly 4,000 years ago
9. The phrase “sleep tight” dates back to the 1500s and 1600s, when mattresses sat atop ropes that required regular tightening
Have you had a look at our bespoke bed range? All of our beds are handmade here in the UK by skilled craftsmen and using the finest materials, so we think it just may be the best sleep you’ve ever had.